Physiotherapists, kinesiologists and other health and fitness professionals can assess your balance and strength and provide you with a personal exercise program to reduce your risk of falls.
To find a physiotherapist in your area, look in your local yellow pages or visit www.mbphysio.org. A list of kinesiologists in Manitoba is located at www.manitobakinesiologists.ca. You do not need a referral from your doctor to see a physiotherapist or kinesiologist, but you may need a doctor’s prescription for the appointment to be covered by your health insurance. Check with your insurance provider to see if they cover physiotherapy or kinesiology appointments and if a prescription from your doctor is required.
A number of fitness facilities offer one-on-one personal exercise training in Winnipeg. The cost of personal training sessions varies depending on the number of sessions that are booked, and whether or not you are a member of the facility.
The following facilities have told us they provide personal exercise training for older adults:
- The Reh-Fit Centre – 1390 Taylor Ave, Winnipeg; phone: (204) 488-4819
- Rose and Max Rady Jewish Community Centre – 123 Doncaster St, Winnipeg; phone: (204) 477-7510
- The Wellness Institute – Seven Oaks General Hospital, 1075 Leila Avenue, Winnipeg; phone: (204) 632-3900
- YMCA-YWCA – South Winnipeg Branch, 5 Fermor Avenue, Winnipeg; phone: (204) 233-3476
- Total Spirit Fitness – Marquis Dance Academy, 3-20 Island Shore Blvd, Winnipeg; phone: (204) 254-0497
For people who are unable to attend exercise programs in the community, VON (Victoria Order of Nursing) Manitoba offers a SMART program where a trained staff will visit you in your home to assess your exercise ability and design a personal exercise program for you. VON follows up with regular visits to adjust your program so that it continues to improve your mobility and independence. The cost of this service as of March 2012 was $3 per visit. For more information about the SMART program contact VON Manitoba at (204) 775-1693 (ext 239).