November is Fall Prevention Month. The theme for 2018 is We all have a role to play. In Manitoba, the province will be proclaiming the week of November 5th as fall prevention week. Many programs and organizations across the Winnipeg Health Region will be promoting this important awareness campaign for a day, a week and some, throughout the month. Winnipeg Regional Health Authority will be tweeting on both WRHA Twitter and Facebook accounts during the month.
Join us on social media!
- Follow Fall Prevention Month on Twitter! @fallpreventCA
- Use the hashtag #PreventFalls2018 in your posts spread the word.
- Like Fall Prevention Month’s Facebook page and share any events that interest you from the calendar
- Follow WRHA Facebook page:
- Follow WRHA Twitter: @WinnipegRHA
About the Issue
Older adults are a vital part of families and communities. Falling can lead to depression, mobility problems, loss of independence and death.
Key statistics in Canada (1)
- Falls are the leading cause of injury among older adults
- Falls in older adults account for $2 billion in direct health care costs annually
- Over 1/3 of older adults will be admitted to long-term care after hospitalization for a fall
Falls in older adults are predictable and preventable. There are many organizations and individuals working hard to increase awareness of the issue and encourage action to prevent falls and injuries from falls.
(1) Government of Canada (2015). Seniors Falls in Canada – Infographic. Retrieved from https://www.canada.ca/en/publichealth/services/health-promotion/aging-seniors/publications/publications-general-public/seniors-falls-canada-second-report/seniors-fallscanada-infographic.html