Exercise that improves balance can reduce falls by between 22-38%.
When it comes to preventing falls and injuries from falls, exercise to improve your balance works incredibly well with older adults living at home. Comprehensive exercise programs delivered in the home have been shown to be effective at addressing fall risk factors, preventing falls, and reducing injury from falls.
An effective exercise program will focus on:
- fall prevention education;
- muscle strengthening; and
- providing a high challenge to balance.
Choose exercise programs that involve safely:
- reducing the base of support;
- moving the center of gravity and controlling body position while standing; and
- standing without using the arms for support.
Older adults who have a history of repeating falls and /or balance and gait issues may benefit the most from exercise.
Take a moment to watch the Staying on Your Feet Exercise & Balance video.