- This document includes current and impactful evidence describing the personal, economic and healthcare system burden of falls among older adults in Canada, Manitoba and Winnipeg, as well as the role of place and income in fall injury. Colleagues and community partners may wish to consult this document for a more comprehensive understanding of the current landscape of falls, to ensure consistency of evidence among professionals, as well as to merit fall prevention and injury reduction efforts.
- What happens after an older adult falls? This infographic shows the journey a community-dwelling older adult takes through the health care system after having a fall resulting in injury. Eight steps to reduce the risk of a fall and fall injury are offered. Intended for the public (primarily older adults and their caregivers), as well as health care providers.
- Falls are the leading cause of significant injury among older adults. While an older adult’s care can result in a variety of health care system usages and intensities, the impact is burdensome to our health care system. This infographic shows the staggering and lengthy effect falls have on our health care system. Intended for health care providers.
- Each year in Manitoba, falls are the most expensive injury and cost our health care system $345 million. This infographic describes the costly impacts associated with a fall, from the acute portion of care to after discharge, such as home care, residential care and disability. Intended for health care providers.
- Public Health Agency of Canada, Seniors’ Falls in Canada: Second Report (2014): This report provides policy makers, researchers, community programmers and practitioners with current national information to prevent falls among seniors.
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, Winnipeg Health Region Injury Report 2000-2010: Describes trends in fall-related hospitalizations and deaths by time, age, gender, geography, and by income quintile.
We selected some of our favourite Canadian websites that can help you improve the implementation of evidence-informed fall prevention practices.
- Fall Prevention Community of Practice LOOP: LOOP is an online community where members support each other to improve the implementation of evidence-informed fall prevention practices. Loop connects you with over 2000 Community of Practice members.
- Fall Prevention Community of Practice LOOP Junior: LOOP Jr. is an online community where members support each other to improve the implementation of evidence-informed fall prevention practices for children.
- November Fall Prevention Month: Fall Prevention Adult Toolkit and Children’s Toolkit
Staying On Your Feet Resources for Older Adults
8 Steps to Stay on Your Feet (2018) is a brochure that aims to raise awareness on how you can reduce falls and fall-related injuries. A limited number of brochures have been printed for Winnipeg Regional Health Authority public health professionals. To request hard copies, please contact email@example.com
A series of videos aimed at helping reduce falls has been produced by Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. These can be shared with clients, posted to your website and downloaded and used on closed circuit TVs in waiting rooms.
At present, these resources are available electronically.
A Checklist to Help You Prevent Falls (2015) helps you identify what is putting you at risk of falling
Take Action To Prevent Falls Booklet (2015) contains the above checklist to help you identify what is putting you at risk of falling, provides information on what you can do to reduce the risks and has tools to help you make a plan
Home Balance and Strength Exercises (2016) contains pictures and step-by-step instructions of five exercises that you can do at home to improve your strength and balance
Proper Footwear Can Help Prevent Falls helps you choose the best footwear to decrease your risk of falling
Exercise for Strength and Balance – 11 x 17″ poster
Vitamin D, Prevent Falls and Injuries – 11 x 17″ poster
Medications and Risk of Falling – 11 x 17″ poster
Proper Footwear Prevents Falls – 11 x 17″ poster